Barangay Topland,
City
of Koronadal, South COtabato
Philippines
Me
and my brother were basically born in Sasa,
Davao City but
since Legaspi
Oil Company where
my father used to work closed down then we transferred to General
Santos for quite sometimes as my father shifted to DOLE Philippines Company located
in Polomolok,
South Cotabato. However, that doesn't last long as well as my father
ended up his contract and we transferred for good in Barangay
Topland locally
known as Barrio
7 a.k.a. Barangay
Zulueta. I don’t know exactly in details the story behind this beautiful
place but this is where me and my brother grew up and spent our humble yet very memorable
childhood to teenage years.
| My loving parents... hayssssssssssssss i miss you guys :( |
| My cousins during our trip to Del Rio. |
My
father were a Barangay Captain for almost 18 years and am proud of him as
always as he served the people sincerely with dignity. We basically have
nothing in our pocket and the only thing we can be proud of is what we stand
for and what we believe in. In terms of size, Barangay Topland is the
largest barangay in the City of Koronadal, South
Cotabato. From General
Santos City International Airport, it’s around an hour or two drive
depending how fast you drive of course.
| Balong is so adventurous, he always go with Mar Mar and Maken everywhere. He prefers to walk without a slipper!!!!! |
Since
it is an agricultural area, thus expect that you’ll be engulfed with greeneries
as trees, mountain ranges, and farm lands are everywhere. Corn, coconut, rice, raw vegetables, and bananas are
the main produce and these are as well the prime source of income for most farmers.
Mostly of the people here depends on agricultural products around 80% probably.
| It's not yet fully ripe but we have nothing to do that's why Mar Mar my cousin, pick those who are already ripe and leave the green ones (hehehe!). |
| Balong try his luck to get one as well (ahahahaha!). |
There are lots of
free goodies if you love green, fresh, nontoxic organic vegetables and fruits here, just
don’t forget to ask permission from the owner that you need one and they will
give you a handful or more than what you need.
![]() |
| That my cousin Ading, holding a ripe durian straight from the tree in our backyard (hehehe!) |
We even have plenty of fruit bearing trees at home. We have rambutan, lanzones, and the king of all fruits as Singaporeans do say, the durian. Most of the fruits we have are free from any pesticides, insecticides, even commercialized fertilizer. We usually let the nature do their job of propagating the plants and voila! we have our products every season (hehehe!).
| My mom in her garden where plenty of orchids can be found. I LOVE YOU Mama... |
The
simple living here is truly remarkable. If most of the urban employers do live
paycheck to paycheck then here, as long as you’re industrious to find ways to
survive you’ll end up good really.
| That's Balong picking some rambutan (ahahaha!). |
If you’re not picky, you can raise chicken,
ducks, pigs, goats, or any farm animals and depend on such products though.
However, because of globalization, people search for a wider horizon and ended
up working in the cities or going abroad like I am. But wherever I may be, I’ll
always comeback because there is always a part of Barangay
Topland that
is tattooed in me.
| Are you ok, baby? seems lots of sweat in there huh? ILOVEYOU (ahahaha!) |
When
I first brought Balong in here, I don’t know what to expect really but I
already spoke to Mama and Papa that I will bring him and will stay with us for
a month. They agreed immediately and even I am not saying a word that ‘me and Balong are together’ pretty sure they already sense it. They have this ardent
radar that only parents can detect a minute details about their ‘son’ or 'daughter' you know? (hehehe!).
| The barangay plaza is located just a few walks away from our house. |
I love this place, I love the
vicinity where I grew up, I love the school where I attended to, I love the
memories in the farm, I love the community, and most of all, I love everything
in between especially all the person who managed to instill great memories to my childhood and teenage years. Besides, most of my families, classmates, and
friends do live here too, that's why it is so hard to forget and why should I anyway? (hehehe!).
| What are you looking at, huh? (hehehe!) |
First place we’ve been too
right after we arrived home is the barangay plaza where most of our field
demonstrations (most dancing presentations) do occur every Barangay
Fiestas (ahahaha!).
It’s always the norm here that each students/pupils are obliged to participate
as this is part of an examination. It’s like if you attend, you’re exempted to
take the exams (hehehe!). Our house used to be near here before and this
plaza was our main playground (hehehe!).
| This acacia is one of the witnesses of my younger years (hehehe!) |
Nothing really change that
much with regards to the surroundings except for the grown acacia trees that
environs the place (hehehe!). There are community halls: the old one
where my father used to work and the new one which the current barangay officials stay. There is a small clinic for
the locals’ convenience and on the other side there is a day care school that runs for free.
| The enduring icon of Barangay Topland. |
It’s the same old statue in
the center which we locally named ‘Kaway’, a known B'laan chieftain who
used to roam around the barrio. He can climb trees and can even chop wood brusquely
considering that he is already in 50’s. We incorporate the statue to him because it also carries an axe which he used to have. In fact however, this statue symbolizes all the settlers that first inhabits here. There is a much deeper meaning to it than the usual one that i once thought (hehehe!)
| At the back is the community gymnasium. |
There is as well a huge enclosed
stadium that caters most of the village presentation. Usually disco, basketball
tournaments, pageants, and religious gatherings do happen in here sometimes.
It’s good to have such amenities for them to earn money especially during
fiestas and anniversary because usually there is an entrance fee every presentation held in here.
| My cousins, Sweety and IJ, inside the church right after my brother officiated the mass. |
There is a Catholic
church at
the back of the stadium where we spent most of our church activities when we
were kids. This is the same church where I had my first communion, my ‘flores
de mayo’ days, and my church confirmation. This is as well the place where my
brother, Gillarme was ordained in 2008. Most of our Sunday Mass is held in here
and what I love the most is the food after mass (ahahaha ~ joke!).
| The cemented road to the city. |
Going to the city to buy some
goods is not a problem. Roads are well maintained and fully cemented from ther
village proper to the city. It’s just around 30 minutes drive if you have a car
but if you don’t there are modes of transportation to get one like the tricycle
and skylab which we call ‘habal habal’. For special trip its only around
PHP 100 to P150 depend on how good you are in haggling (hehehe!).
Jeepneys used to invade on these roads before and I don’t know why they
evaporate literally but we always have that during oury early
childhood years.
| Balong with my cousins on our way to Lambayong in Tampakan. |
There are three elementary schools
and a high school in here too. The first one is Marbel
7 Elementary School (M7ES) where I graduated, next
is Manuel
Dondiego Elementary School in Cogonal around
10 minutes drive from the plaza and the Seventh Day Adventist School located
in Upper
Libertad which
is just a few walks away from Marbel 7 National High School (M7NHS)
where I graduated my secondary years. What is unique about M7NHS is the
location as some of the school buildings is situated in the mountain ranges and
there is a slope to the river at the back. You’ll walk around 200 steps from
the ground before reaching the top and it’s a good exercise, you know (hehehe!).
| This is where our farm is. |
Since the village is
surrounded with farms, Balong love to go along with my cousin. If you love
nature then this is the place to go. We may not have great waterfalls, great
rivers but there are plenty of lush greeneries to enjoy complete with
nature’s beautiful wonder. There is a tree planting going on in here sponsored
by the municipal government and hope these deeds will continue and makes
the place back to its glory where babirusa/wild
boars used
to live in the forest.
| My brother is the one who is wearing a green cap.. I miss you Tol. ILOVEYOU... |
No
pubs in here except some locals stores if you want to buy some liquor. No big
grocery stores either but you can go to the city if you really wanted to. There
is a public market ‘palengke’ just around 5 minutes ‘on foot’ from the
plaza if you want to buy something fresh just don’t expect to find romaine
lettuce or cherry tomatoes, ok? (hehehe!).
| Me, our Grandma, my cousins Sweety and Nene |
So
there you go, that is basically the place where I grew up, surrounded with the
wonder of nature and in God’s will, we will be back home soon with Balong.
Cheeeeeeeeerrriioosss!!!
Enan signing off:
SMILE....
:)
.


No comments:
Post a Comment